Sunday, August 5, 2007

KH #21 won & Marcos Ambrose vs. Robby Gordon

What happened yesterday (on Saturday) Busch Series NAPA Auto Parts 200.
It was the ugly by Robby Gordon. Did Robby Gordon get robbed by NASCAR? Maybe.
Did Marcos Ambrose get robbed of what could have been his first Busch Series victory? Possibly.

Ambrose and Gordon were battling for the lead when the caution flew on lap 72. Gordon had seemingly passed Ambrose, before Ambrose seemingly intentionally turned him, while the caution flag was waving.
Under caution Gordon ran into the back of Ambrose’s car.
NASCAR said Ambrose was still the leader and instructed Gordon to fall back to 13th in the restart order. Gordon disregarded the directive from NASCAR, remaining second in line on the track for the restart for the green-white-checkered finish.
“You always go back to your position, if you get spun out and Marcos spun me under the caution,” Gordon said. “. . . They originally told me to go back to second place and I went back to second place. Then they said to go back to 13th place or 14th place or something like that. I was never running 13th or 14th, so I don’t know what to say.”
Just after the green Gordon drove into Amrbose, turning him on the track, before continuing on. At that point NASCAR officials directed Gordon off the track.
“I knew that he was going to try and hit me,” said Ambrose, the only Australian regular in NASCAR’s three national touring divisions. “We were talking whether we should pull over and let him pass, but you know, I’ve got two laps to go and I’m trying to win the race. If somebody is going to take me out, they’re going to take me out. If they feel strong enough, they’re going to do it. I’m not going to go into it. I’m disappointed; I promised myself that I wouldn’t get mad. This is an opportunity for me over here. I’m thankful for what I’ve been given and today is a bad day, but tomorrow we’ll look to next week. I’m pleased that I’m here and holding my own against some of America’s best.”
“Once the caution came out on Lap 72 the field was frozen. Once the field is frozen, all cars must maintain cautious pace in order to be scored.,” Poston said. “At the time that the field was frozen, [Ambrose] was in the lead. [Gordon] did not maintain cautious pace and by NASCAR rule, cars not maintaining cautious pace are scored only when they blend back into the continuous line. [Gordon] based on our scoring was ordered to blend back in behind [Ron Fellows and] in front of [Mike Wallace].
“The tower ordered the [Gordon] multiple times to get in to position. The directive was acknowledged by [Gordon’s crew chief] and the crew chief also communicated the order [to Gordon]. The driver ignored NASCAR’s directive.
“He was warned that he would be black flagged if he did not comply. Once [Gordon] crossed the start-finish line he was posted per the NASCAR rule book and at that time the directive to display the black flag was given.
“After contact with [Ambrose] on Lap 73, NASCAR took emergency action per the rule book Section 12-2 thus parking [Gordon], which was also ignored. The black flag with the white cross was displayed to [Gordon] when [he] crossed the start-finish line on lap 74.”
Ambrose was able to come back and finish seventh. Gordon was scored with an 18th place finish
.

No comments: