Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Riding with Junior: Watkins Glen

Best Radio Chatter


Dale Jr. and the No. 2 car of Kurt Busch were the focus of a lot of pre-race attention because of their close battle for 12th place in the point standings. The two cars got very, very close early in the race, as Dale Jr. pushed Busch down the frontstretch on lap seven to pass Matt Kenseth, then Busch swung wide in turn one, allowing the Bud car to slice past...



Dale Jr. (five laps later under caution): "Wow. It's been a show in here!"



Tony Eury Jr: "You're doin' good."



Dale Jr.: "The 2 (Busch) is quick. He's hard to beat."



Eury Jr: "On the timing charts, he's a little quicker. The leaders are quicker - but you've got the rest of the field covered on lap times. Just run your own pace."



Dale Jr.: (to spotter Steve Hmiel) "Tell the 2 spotter that I didn't mean to push him into (turn) one. I was bump-drafting him to try to get by the 17 (Kenseth). I was trying to push him and he ran wide in turn one. I'm sure I didn't help."



Hmiel.: "June, he said it's all good..."

A caution flag flew on lap 39 while Dale Jr. was running third.

Hmiel.: "Caution's out June - debris in turn 11."

Dale Jr.: "Yeah, there's oil or something there. I about busted my ass !"

Eury Jr: "What did you think of the changes (on the last pit stop)?"

Dale Jr.: (surprised) "Did you change something?!?"



Eury Jr: (sheepishly) "A lil'..."



Dale Jr.: "Why?! It felt better before, I guess... For me, it's all about catching people. If I'm catching the guys in front of me, I'm happy as (expletive deleted). I'm cool. I'm doin' what I can do. It was a little tight at the start of the run, but there was better forward bite as the run went along."

Dale Jr. ran second to Jeff Gordon for several laps, closing slightly each lap with quicker lap times.



Eury Jr: "You're clear by 15 (car lengths). Just take it easy."



Dale Jr.: "Tell the 24 (Gordon) I wanna lead a lap!"



Hmiel.: "10-4."



Dale Jr.: "I mean, I'm trying to catch him - but he ain't gonna let me by! I'd better take it a little easier here because I'm gonna get myself in trouble if I push too hard..."

Today's StatsStarted: 14th (based upon owner's points)



Finished: 42ndLaps Led: ---


Money: $103,788


Points: 14th place (-100 pts. to 12th place)


Best Pit Stop: Stop #2 of 2 / Lap 53 / four tires and fuel / 14.34 seconds*(*Watkins Glen is the only circuit where the cars run clockwise, which means the fueling and the tire changes are reversed from their usual routine, so stops are traditionally slower than normal. The 14 second stops don't seem fast compared to the standard 12-second stops the team have been making, but the team gained four positions on the first stop and two on the second.)

No comments: