Friday, July 20, 2007

I was pretty close to pick Matt Kenseth to win..He got second place

Older post://bumpincrunchinanddrafting-mo.blogspot.com/2007/07/i-think.html
Tony Stewart wasn't about to let Matt Kenseth get around him in the waning laps of Sunday's Sheetrock 400, even though Kenseth got three excellent shots on restarts after late caution flags. Whether it's been fuel mileage or bad luck, we just haven't been able to close one off."The race really belonged to Stewart after Kenseth's first shot at him, on a restart with 37 laps remaining of the 267. That caution had come out due to the elimination of their only serious competitor, Jimmie Johnson, who crashed after leading the second-most laps to Stewart for the day.For two laps, Stewart in a Chevrolet and Kenseth in a Ford dueled side by side, and at one point Kenseth almost completed the pass."There very easily could have been a different outcome if he'd cleared us on that restart," Stewart admitted. Turbulence is a major factor in passing at the 1.5-mile Joliet track, and the duel was for the "clean air."But Stewart drifted high to block Kenseth."As long as I didn't give him the outside I felt like I was in good shape," Stewart said.Then Kenseth drove low, and "I stayed under him for about two laps," Kenseth said, "and I was so loose I was afraid I was going to wipe us both out, so I had to get back behind him."And that was it, even through two more restarts and two more Kenseth challenges. Stewart was in front for keeps."I ran the bottom to try to disturb the air on his car," Stewart said.

No comments: